The client is a leading industrial and residential building solution manufacturing company, serving across North America and Canada. Supported by a strong commitment to operational excellence, they have successfully provided exceptionally high-quality services to their customers for many years.
The client was running their multiple-module system built on legacy applications. The system consisted of outdated technologies such as FORTRAN and C++. This limitation hindered their ability to leverage newer, more efficient tools and technologies available in the industry. Another critical issue was the modeling process, which commenced with 2D elements, resulting in models lacking the necessary depth and accuracy. This deficiency was particularly problematic in complex models, as inaccuracies were magnified and hindered effective decision-making and project execution.
Additionally, the inflexibility of the 3D models to incorporate live changes easily created bottlenecks and hindered the client’s agility in responding to evolving project requirements.
The client decided to rearchitect the current system and solve other obstacles. They contacted Stridely Solutions to revamp its existing processes and were looking for an advanced solution that could improve the efficiency of its existing endeavors.
- Automation of their entire modeling & detailing process, along with custom drawing & report generation.
- Streamline their existing drafting process along with modernizing their traditional IT infrastructure.
- The proposed solution should offer them flexibility & competitive advantage in their PEB markets.
- The proposed system should be able to integrate well with the constantly evolving & future business needs of their industry.
The client’s legacy building design and modeling system had several limitations that made it difficult to meet current approval standards:
- The system could not create accurate 3D models using modern BIM technology, which is essential for approval in the commercial and industrial construction industry today.
- The system was based on outdated technologies like Design++ and Lisp that are no longer supported.
- The modeling process started with 2D elements, which resulted in models that lacked depth and accuracy. Inaccuracies compounded in complex models.
- The 3D models were inflexible and could not incorporate live changes easily.
- The system’s architecture relied on multiple systems and technologies that were not well integrated, requiring manual workarounds.
- The file and data management systems were insecure and caused unnecessary delays.
- Significant effort was spent drafting, generating, and revising drawings and reports due to outdated processes and technologies.
- The legacy systems could only provide a fragmented view of core business processes as drafting was done using outdated processes.
- Leveraging Tekla’s integration with project management software enables the client to better plan, manage and track projects.
- We implemented Tekla Structures and the Tekla Open API to automate the drafting of pre-engineered steel building structures with 3D models.
- The entire drafting process was streamlined using an interactive Tekla environment alongside Tekla Open API plugins and macros.
- We created customized plugins that enable editing of any imported 3D models utilizing the Tekla Open API. These plugins generate reports like bill of materials and drawings like anchor rod layouts and shop drawings for the Tekla model.
- The solution allows draftsmen to import, edit, finalize, and create required reports and drawings for the pre-engineered building structure within the Tekla software.
- Tekla Structures can interface with analysis and design software through the Tekla Open API. This allows both engineers and modelers to collaborate on the same project.
- We modernized and migrated all supporting IT infrastructure to the cloud, making the client more flexible and enabling seamless integration.
We were able to help the client achieve tremendous benefits:
- Lead time reduction: Using the new Tekla system, draftsmen can import, edit, finalize, and create drawings faster without leaving the platform. This reduced lead times.
- Smooth IT infrastructure: Streamlining the drafting process around Tekla decreased complexity by removing dependent technologies. This saves costs and makes maintenance easier.
- Cloud architecture: Moving to the cloud enables staff to access work from anywhere, on any system, freeing them from location limitations.
- Better collaboration: The cloud enables seamless collaboration between peers, making processes more flexible and productive.
- Automation benefits: Reducing manual intervention through automation cuts manhours per project. This gave the client a big competitive edge.
- Flexibility: Real-time BIM model modifications via Tekla APIs allow clients to quickly accommodate client needs and generate revisions. This responsiveness helps satisfy customers.
- Creation of “Blue Ocean Strategy”: Reducing quote-to-delivery lead times and increased flexibility by responding faster to client revisions with lowering costs helped the client gain market share in a competitive industry.
- Futureproofing: The modern solution lets the client integrate technologies like VR, enterprise software, and project management tools to prepare for the future.